The Nyšnga is a druidic sage and protector of the wilds, who recognizes vegetable life as the basis for almost all higher forms of plant and creature - the foundation for innumerable food chains. They are the herbalists of the people, appreciating the secret qualities of plants, and spreading the knowledge of the goodness and power of nature.
The nyšnga are friends to greenery, be it that of colossal trees, or that of tiniest motes of pollen. They are those who offer understanding and defense to the denizens of the natural world in return for assistance in the regeneration of life, and the provision of powers to rebuke dark spirits that inflict the material realm, and thus are renowned primarily as highly skilled healers and abjurers. Some few however are devious manipulators, thieves of vegetable power, and dealers of wicked magical brews.
A majority of nyšnga are male, but female practitioners are not unheard of.
credits: this class description and ruleset was derived from great work by 'Serpentine' of the giantitp forums: link, who gave permission for me to derive the Nyšnga class from her plant-druid.
Alignment: Neutral good, Lawful neutral, Neutral, Chaotic neutral, or Neutral evil.
With their healing and supporting spells, and ability to subdue without killing, Nyšnga tend more towards Good rather than Evil.
Hit Die: d6
The Nyšngaís class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex).
|Table: The Nyšnga|
|-------- Spells per Day -------|
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special||0th||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||6th||7th||8th||9th|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||Plant Companion, Nature Sense, Plant Empathy||3||1|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+3||Woodland Stride, Rebuke Plants, Muti Infusion||4||2|
|4th||+3||+4||+1||+4||Infuse Mithi Bundles (1/day)||5||3||2|
|6th||+4||+5||+2||+5||Improved Woodland Stride||5||3||3||2|
|7th||+5||+5||+2||+5||Infuse Mithi Bundles (2/day), Muti Infusion||6||4||3||2||1|
|8th||+6/+1||+6||+2||+6||Resist Natures Lure (ex)||6||4||3||3||1|
|10th||+7/+2||+7||+3||+7||Infuse Mithi Bundles (3/day), Muti Infusion||6||4||4||3||3||2|
|13th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+8||Infuse Mithi Bundles (4/day)||6||5||5||4||4||3||2||1|
|16th||+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+10||Infuse Mithi Bundles (5/day)||6||5||5||5||4||4||3||3||2|
|19th||+14/+9/+4||+11||+6||+11||Infuse Mithi Bundles (6/day)||6||5||5||5||5||5||4||4||3||3|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+12||+6||+12||Muti Infusion, Vegetative State||6||5||5||5||5||5||4||4||4||4|
All the following are class features of the Nyšnga.
Weapon and Armour Proficiency
The nyšnga are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, spear, whip. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) they acquire through Muti Infusions.
Nyšnga are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor. (A nyšnga may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description.) Nyšnga are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.
A nyšnga who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast nyšnga spells or use any of his supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.
A nyšnga casts divine spells, which are drawn from the nyšnga spell list. His alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A nyšnga must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).
To prepare or cast a spell, the nyšnga must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a nyšngaís spell is 10 + the spell level + the nyšngaís Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a nyšnga can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Nyšnga. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score. He does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a SangŲma does.
The nyšnga prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does. A nyšnga may prepare and cast any spell on the nyšnga spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.
Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells
A nyšnga canít cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deityís (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
A nyšngaís bonus language options include Sylvan, the language of woodland creatures. This choice is in addition to the bonus languages available to the character because of his race.
A nyšnga also knows the secret language known only to nyšnga fraternity, which he learns upon becoming a 1st-level nyšnga. This secret tongue is a free language for a nyšnga; that is, she knows it in addition to his regular allotment of languages and it doesnít take up a language slot. Nyšnga are forbidden to teach this language to the uninitiated.
This secret language has it's own 'alphabet' of symbols and signs.
Plant Companion (Ex)
A nyšnga may begin play with one of two types of companion: a plant familiar, or plant companion.
A plant familiar is an ordinary plant - although usually one that has been given special care or is unusual, such as a bonsai, or small cactus - to which the herbalist has bonded and become tuned to. The plant familiar must be carefully tended and protected from damage. It is considered a magical object, but is otherwise an ordinary plant.
Once per day, the nyšnga may infuse their plant familiar with some of his magical energy. This store of magic is measured in spell levels. A plant can store up to the nyšnga's level + his Wisdom modifier in spell levels indefinitely. The plant familiar is not a magic item with a fixed set of abilities, it is a living entity whereby one can store magic energy to re-use and re-direct at will.
A number of spell levels up to the nyšnga's class level may be infused each day (ie. a fifth-level nyšnga can infuse 5 spell levels worth of magical charge into the plant). Each spell level takes a full round action to infuse. These spell levels are considered spent for that day. Cantrips are considered 0.5 spell levels for this purpose. For example, a 5th level nyšnga could store 5 1st-level spells, or perhaps two 2nd-level spells and one 1st-level spell. The nyšnga who charged the item is the only one capable of making use of the stored energy to cast spells therefrom).
A number of times per day equal to the nyšnga's Wisdom modifier, the plant familiar's stored energy can be used to cast any spell on the nyšnga's spell list that the herbalist is able to cast, without using his prepared spell slots. One of these spells a day may have any one metamagic feat applied to it.
For example, Tilaka is an 8th level nyšnga. He has a cactus familiar. It can store up to 12 spell levels of magical energy. For the last 3 days, Tilaka has infused 4 cantrips each day into the cactus, spending those slots for that day. As a result, it contains 6 spell levels. One day, he draws on the cactus's power to cast cure light wounds and a widened entangle. This uses up 5 spell levels, leaving 1 level still stored in the plant.
A plant companion is exactly like the Ghi-ten's animal companion, except it is a plant creature, and it always has at least 10ft movement speed. The plant companion can be chosen from the following list:
Nature Sense (Ex): A nyšnga gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.
Plant Empathy (Ex): A nyšnga can improve the attitude of a plant creature. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The herbalist rolls 1d20 and adds his nyšnga level and her Charisma modifier to determine the plant empathy check result.
To use plant empathy, the nyšnga and the creature must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing a plant creature in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.
Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a nyšnga may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.
Rebuke Plants: Starting at 2nd level, the nyšnga can influence plant creatures in the same way that evil clerics can influence undead. See Turn Or Rebuke Undead.
Improved Woodland Stride (Ex): From 6th level, the nyšnga may move freely even through overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion.
Muthi Infusions: At 2nd level and at various levels thereafter, the nyšnga may select one of the following pre-made muthi infusions, or a custom one of equivalent power. Infusions may be taken (imbibed, rubbed on the skin, or into cuts in the skin etc.) up to 3 times, stacking (where applicable). Improved versions may only be taken after the original.
- Barky skin: Your skin toughens like bark. You gain a +2 natural armour bonus.
- Barky skin, Improved: Your skin hardens. You gain DR 2/slashing.
- Tendrils: You grow vines from your body. You gain a +2 bonus to Grapple.
- Tendrils, Improved: Your vines grow stronger and more plentiful. You gain Improved Grapple.
- Vines: Your arms stretch and bend in a vine-like way. You gain an extra 5ft reach.
- Vines, Improved: Your vine-like arms become tougher and quicker. You gain Improved Grab as an Extraordinary Ability.
- Photosynthesis: Your skin and/or hair turn green, or you start to grow leaves. As long as you get at least 1 hour of sunlight a day you only need to eat half as much food and gain Fast Healing 1 as long as you are in sunlight.
- Photosynthesis, Improved: Your body produces more chloryphyll and becomes more plantlike. You gain Regeneration 1 while in sunlight, overcome by fire and cold.
- Roots: You start growing roots from your feet. Any time you spend at least one round without moving, you gain a +4 bonus against Bull Rush attempts.
- Roots, Improved: Your roots start sending you sensory information. You gain Tremorsense.
- Creepers: You grow tiny clinging tendrils. You gain a 10ft Climb Speed.
- Spines: Your body grows thousands of needle-like spikes. Anyone hitting you with a natural or unarmed attack takes 1d4 piercing damage. Anyone grappling you takes 1d6 piercing damage.
- Spines, Improved: Your spikes start producing an irritating poison. Anyone taking damage from the spines take 1d4 Dexterity damage (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con mod or 14, whichever is higher).
- Thorns: You grow hard, sharp thorns. You gain a claw attack that deals 1d6 slashing damage.
- Thorns, Improved: Your thorns become vicious and lacerating. They are considered to have the Keen and Nervewrack (On a critical hit, the opponent receives the following penalties due to pain for 1d4 rounds (no save): a) Ė2 penalty to AC, attack rolls, weapon damage, and Reflex saves; b) movement is Ĺ; and c) casting spells requires a Concentration check vs. DC 15.) features.
- Sap: Your blood starts to turn into sap. You gain a +4 bonus to checks to stabilise.
- Sap, Improved: Your blood thickens further. You are immune to wounding and similar affects.
- Heartwood: Your core toughens. You gain a +2 Constitution bonus. This may only be taken once every 10 levels.
- Heartwood, Improved: Your core toughens further, protecting your vital organs. You gain Light Fortification as an Extraordinary Ability.
- Seeking Tendrils: Your fingers become prying tendrils and your body flexible as a sapling. You gain a +2 Dexterity bonus. This cannot be taken twice in a row.
- Seeking Tendrils, Improved: Your limbs become whiplike, your digits fine enough to pry into any cranny. You may add your Dexterity modifier to the following checks: Disarm, Grapple, Trip, Climb, Disable Device, Open Lock, Perform (any non-vocal), Search.
- Sturdy Trunk: Your body becomes heavier and wooden. You gain a +2 Strength bonus. This cannot be taken twice in a row.
- Sturdy Trunk, Improved: You become heavier and much more solid than appearance would suggest. You are considered one size category larger whenever it it beneficial.
- Alluring Scent: You sprout pleasant-smelling flowers, or your body produces a lovely scent. You gain a +2 Charisma bonus. This cannot be taken twice in a row.
- Alluring Scent, Improved: Your scent gains in potency. You can use Charm Monster as a Spell-like Ability once per day, DC 10+1/2 HD +Charisma modifier or 14, whichever is higher.
- Foliage: Over a full round, you can grow leaves and twigs all over your body. You can moult them as a move action. You gain a +4 bonus to Hide checks anywhere plants can grow.
- Foliage, Improved: Your coat of leaves and twigs becomes thick and luxurious. You gain 30% Concealment whenever they are activated.
Trackless Step (Ex) Starting at 3rd level, a nyšnga leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
Infuse Mithi Bundles (Su) At 5th level, the nyšnga gains the ability to create mithi bundles. These are small bundles of seeds and cuttings infused with raw plant magic. When thrown by yourself, or any nyšnga, sangoma of a deity of plants or nature, or a similar divine spellcaster (so long as you gave them the bundle of own free will), the stored magic herbal energy is released, and they burst into exuberant growth, growing over anything in its area. Only two bundles are effective in any one square; additional bundles sprout, but are overrun by the growth already present. Same effects do not stack.
The effects are Instantaneous. The DC for all is 10+CL. Bundles take 5 minutes each to infuse, and are used as a splash weapon. Components can be gathered ahead of time, and bundles generally last indefinitely. Each bundle weights 0.5lb.
The nature of the bundle depends on the types of plants used to make it. Almost any plants can be used. Some possible bundles include:
- Entangling Bundle: Contains vines, devil's hair (also known as Hellweed), blackberry, ivy and similar plants. It bursts into ropes and nets of clinging stems, wrapping around anything it comes into contact with. It emulates the effects of the spell entangle, except as noted below.
- Spike Bundle: Contains cuttings and seeds of brambles, devil's thorn, acacia, nettles, thistles, briars, roses, cacti and other spiky plants. It sprouts into a tangled mess of barbs and thorns. It emulates the effects of the spell entangle, except as noted below, and in that it deals 1d6 + 1 per 4 nyšnga levels in piercing damage, and has a 20ft spread area.
- Barrier Bundle: Contains brambles, blackberries, briars, bamboo, bushes and other densely growing plants. It grows into an impenetrable wall of stems and thorns, up to one 5ft cube per caster level (continuous). Any creatures caught in the area take 1d6 + 1 per 4 nyšnga levels in piercing damage and are forced to the side. The wall must be hacked away to get through; doing so with anything other than a reach weapon deals 1d4 damage to the attacker.
- Climbing Bundle: Contains vines, creepers, thornless briars and other long, strong plants. When thrown onto a wall or sloping surface, they spread out and grow into a tangled net. They can grow up to 10ft horizontally and 50ft vertically. The DC to climb the vines on a vertical surface is 5.
- Decomposing Bundle: Contains various fungi and detritovores. This bundle requires a touch attack to hit a single target, and does not count towards the two-bundles-per-square limit. When it hits the target, the detritovores sprout out to cover it in seeking tendrils, sinking into any wounds the target already has or acquires. The target takes an extra point of damage from any skin-breaking attack, and one point per round of damage per open wound. Open wounds include those from piercing and slashing damage, and any bleeding wound or break in skin. The effect continues until the spores are removed (although if the wounds are closed, such as by a Cure spell, the target no longer takes the damage until another wound opens). The fungi is removed by spending a full round action to wipe it off, by being the target of a fire spell or a mundane fire effect, or cure disease.
- Choking Bundle: Contains spores, strong-scented flowers, pollen and other strong and irritating substances. All breathing creatures within a 10ft radius must make a fortitude save or be sickened as long as they stay in the area. The choking cloud settles in 2d4 rounds.
Resist Nature's Lure (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a nyšnga gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey creatures.
Venom Immunity (Ex) At 9th level, a nyšnga gains immunity to all poisons.
Vegetative State At 20th level, the nyšnga becomes a plant. He gains the Plant type, and consequently the following traits: Low-light vision; Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects); Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Not subject to critical hits; breathe and eat, but do not sleep. In addition, he can take on the form of any plant creature with fewer HD than himself a number of times per day equal to his Constitution modifier (minimum 1/day), for a number of minutes equal to his character level.
more class tables, lists and further description. coming soon...
Special Characters: ŗŠ‚„šŤťÍŽžŪÓÔůÚŰűŲýķŻŁśż ņŃ¬√ńŇ∆»… ňŐÕőŌ“”‘’÷ŔŕŘ‹›